Sunday, June 12

Vegan Oreo Cakes!

Well, you could cookie cutter out nice little circles and put a thin layer of frosting in between two, but why make homemade oreos to mimic the things that I don't really like about oreos? For one, the cookie is a bit hard and too strong for me and there's just not enough of that delicious creme in the middle. So, a bit makeshift but, I made these crazy vegan oreo cakes!


They were absolutely delicious! You only need one to feel satisfied and it doesn't hurt to wash them down with a nice glass of vanilla almond milk (my absolute favorite!)

The recipe is actually really simple.

Cookies:
3/4 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch cocoa powder
1/2 cup black cocoa powder
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

You mix together the shortening and sugar until it's fluffy. Then mix in the milk and vanilla. After that, mix in the rest of the ingredients. If it's a bit too gooey (mine was) just stick it in the fridge for a few and it will stiffen up so that you can mold it into the cookies.

Filling:
1/4 cup of the shortening
1/4 cup of margarine
2 1/2-3 cups of powdered sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla

Mix together the margarine and shortening. Slowly mix in the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla.

Bake the cookies at 325 degrees F for 12 minutes. Let cool, then add the frosting in between and you're done!

Hints:
  1. I was using an electronic handheld mixer and the frosting didn't look like it was completely coming together, it kinda stayed in little balls/clumps but they were easily molded together by hand after a few minutes of mixing.
  2. Also, I'm not sure what black cocoa powder is..I happened to have a bit of regular cocoa powder and then some dark and I just used what I had in the same amount (1 cup altogether) and they came out fine.
  3. The frosting by itself isn't very sweet but altogether it definitely is..I think frosting that was extra sweet on its own would just be too much.


I would definitely make these again!


Kristi(E)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments :)